How to Improve Your Fitness With an Electric Bike
One of the numerous and common benefits of riding an electric bike is enhanced body fitness. Electric bikes are commonly employed as a non-rigorous riding tool or exercise. It helps riders to strengthen their arm and lower body muscles while riding. However, you need to follow certain things for maximum results on your fitness journey.
Start Your Ride Slowly
Starting your ride at a fast pace will wear you out quickly. It would be best to start your ride slowly and patiently increase the tempo as you cover more range. This is particularly crucial for individuals who are new to cycling. It would be best if you built your endurance gradually until you are comfortable riding at a certain speed level.
Starting your ride slowly helps you to understand your electric bike better. For instance, you know how long your bike battery can operate before draining out. Even though this information is usually provided in the manufacturer's guide, you need practical evidence to prove it.
Use the Pedal-Assist Function
To boost your body fitness, endeavor to use the pedal-assist feature less frequently. You need to pedal yourself, which would require a lot of energy input. While at it, your body muscles are stretched and toned. Also, electric bike brands like Honbike are built with three assist mode levels. This allows you to customize the level of assistance you want from your electric bike. You may boost the assist level when climbing uphills, but avoid depending on it too much.
Set Realistic Goals
You probably have heard how electric bikes help to keep riders in shape and are eager to try them out. Meanwhile, it doesn't work as you may have thought. You need to set realistic goals and time frames. For example, plan the average distance and speed you can cover daily. This will help you stay motivated and track your progress.
You should not hesitate to pause whenever you feel worn out. Thus, always include a recovery process in your plan. You may also speak to fitness enthusiasts about the best and most effective approach to implement. However, the more your ride, the better you get at working towards your goal. Additionally, trying various routines is an exciting way to challenge your body. This can also help to discover new places in your area while your body adapts to the new environment.
Combine Cycling With Other Activities
Cycling alone will not achieve the fitness goal you desire. To obtain maximum results, you should combine cycling with other activities. Some of these activities may include strength training or flexibility exercises. These extra activities are further explained below.
- Strength Training: This exercise is ideal for individuals who want more results in the upper body region. Some strength training you may practice includes pull-ups, planks, and push-ups.
- Yoga or Stretching:If you feel pain in your joints and muscles after cycling, you should stretch before you start your ride. You should also stretch after your ride, the minimize the pain that may accompany your ride. Incorporating yoga into your cycling routine will also improve your flexibility and range of motion.
- Swimming: Swimming also helps to build your upper body region by strengthening its muscles. This may be a low-impact exercise, but its impact is highly significant when combined with cycling. Swimming is beneficial when you need to cool down after riding through the hot summer weather.
- Pilates: Pilates is an exercise that will improve your body posture and flexibility. The rate of injury in this exercise is relatively low. Thus, it is considered a perfect activity to combine with cycling.
- Running or Jogging: Running or jogging are simple exercises that can be done at any time of the day. Just like cycling, you must also start your jogging routine slowly. You can increase the pace after finding a balance or when your feet get familiar with the race speed. More so, avoid running at high speed before starting your cycling. This will shorten your cycling duration, causing you to run out of energy faster.
- Hiking: Hiking is a great way to get outside and enjoy nature. It also helps you familiarize yourself with the environment or plan your route ahead of cycling. This is a good workout that improves riders' endurance and strength.
- Cross-Country Skiing: This is an excellent activity to try out during the winter season. This can also help improve your cardiovascular system. Since riding during winter can be pretty messy, this is a good workout combination.
Why An Electric Bike is the Best Option for Body Fitness
Body fitness is best achieved when you are consistent with it. Even though an electric bicycle does not involve an intense workout routine, it allows you to ride for a long time. It also allows you to try new fun places such as cafes and mountain regions.
Electric Bikes Works on the Cardiovascular System
Whether you use the pedal-assist function or not, riding an e-bike undoubtedly impacts your cardiovascular system. It also reduces the risk of developing heart-related diseases. According to research, doctors encourage individuals who are just recovering from high blood pressure to utilize cycling as exercise. It is also helpful for people who cannot afford a gym package but need exercise to boost their heart's state.
Electric Bike Allows You to Ride with Workout Buddies
Riding with workout buddies can be fun, encouraging individuals to keep up with the cycling routine. However, your workout buddies may consider getting electric bike brands that are compatible with almost everybody, such as the Honbike models. This electric bike ensures no issues while riding, and everyone is comfortable. More so, riding in groups help you to reach your fitness goals faster. This is because you are likely to ride faster and more frequently. This also creates a form of accountability, as you have someone to remind you of your riding schedule.
Maximizing Your Daily Commute
Commuting is an integral part of daily living. It is almost impossible not to commute to and fro daily, except for remote work. Even with the increasing rate of remote work, people are advised to set time apart for daily exercising. Thus, you can maximize your commute activities by riding an electric bike. This way, you are not only meeting your mobile needs, but you are also getting your body into shape.
Cycling Improves Mental Health
The health effect of cycling is not only on body fitness. It helps relax the mind by eradicating depression, stress, and anxiety. Considering the high rate of depression among young people, cycling has become a crucial and needed activity—the endorphins released during cycling help to improve blood circulation throughout the body. Thus, you are more mindful of yourself and the environment while riding. This also helps shift your mind from whatever issues or worries you bear.
Improving your body's fitness is a good cause, but it cannot be achieved by only cycling with an electric bike. This is why this guide highlighted other activities that could serve as complementary. However, you must identify an exercise or cycling routine that works best for you. You may also want to avoid certain routines if you have a specific heart or disease condition. Thus, speak to your medical doctor for the best recommendation.
Leave a comment